Monday, June 15, 2009

Maureen Germain's Homemade Macaroni and Cheese

8 oz elbow noodles10 oz block Cracker Barrel Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
4 Tbls margarine
4 Tbls flour
2 cups of whole milk (maybe a little more)
pepper (to taste)
salt (to taste)
paprika (personal desired amount)

- Shred cheddar cheese (not cubed), cook and drain the noodles...set aside
- Melt margarine in a saucepan over medium heat
- Add flour (turn heat down)
- whisk and let cook for about a minute or less
- Whisk in the 1 1/2 cup of whole milk a bit at a time. Set aside the remaining milk.
- Add salt and pepper and turn the heat back up to Medium.
- Cook over medium heat until the white sauce thickens and coats a wooden spoon.

Grease a Corning type dish with margarine and layer as follows:
- half of your noodles
- half of your white sauce
- half of your cheddar cheese
- Layer a second time (same order)
- Slowly pour in remainder of milk into the sides of dish until you can see milk seeping up through the holes. I always need more than the 1/2 cup that is left over.

- Sprinkle paprika generously on top.
- Bake at 375 uncovered for 45 minutes and let stand for 15 minutes before
serving.

Erin and Maureen were sorority sisters at Bethany College. Maureen and her husband Sean live in Gainesville, FL with their two beautiful daughters. This picture was taken April 2009 in St. Augustine.

2 comments:

  1. I just saw this link on Erin's account and thought "even MamaJo is blogging now?" I'm gonna have to check out all these recipes. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the ghost blogger! Everyone loved your mac 'n cheese recipe - Erin said you wouldn't mind if I shared! Um - um good.

    ReplyDelete